Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Big Bruddah, with the Goo Goo Googley Eyes

Don Martin predicted Mark Zuckerberg in a 1970's Mad Magazine. 
The Spirit of St. Louis was playing recently on TV - James Stewart as Charles Lindbergh, an aw-shucks guy making the world's first solo trans-Atlantic flight.   The film relies on Stewart's voice-over narration to express Lindbergh's inner thoughts during the flight.  It brought to mind an early Saturday Night Live spoof of the film featuring Buck Henry, with much sillier voice-over, and a running gag where Lindbergh peers out the window, only to be splashed with a bucket of water.  He is ultimately visited by the Landshark.

Curious to see the skit, I did a Google search.  I didn't find a video clip, but I did find a transcript, from an episode on May, 21, 1977.  I was in 8th grade, but my memory of the skit was very good, considering I had not seen it since.  Curiosity satisfied.

A few days later, I got an e-mail on my g-mail account from Amazon.com, subject line, "Saturday Night Live, May 14, 1977".   Their message was:




Steve Moore, 

Are you looking for something in our Comedy Movies & TV Shows department? If so, you might be interested in these items.

They wanted to sell me the SNL Lindbergh skit on DVD.  They were off by a week in the subject line, but still, they knew I had been looking.  


This morning, Facebook, to mark their 10th anniversary, announced they are giving all us lemmings a gift - a video montage of the best of our own personal photos put to music.  It's like getting a gift from a stalker, letting you know they're watching.  Some of my friends love it.  Me?  I watched way too many armageddon movies as a kid not to be freaked out.   

Facebook is a Soylent Green factory, turning people into food for marketers.   

Like having information controlled by a central source?  Worked out great for the powers that be in Fahrenehit 451.

Remember the Eloi in The Time Machine?  Living completely happy and pacified by luxury, oblivious to the fact that they are destined to be Morlock chow. Amazon is the Morlock of the internet.   And Rod Taylor will not save you.  

Cue theremin, fade to black.
-Steve




No comments:

Post a Comment